The Board of Directors for the Minnesota Philharmonic Orchestra is truly a working board—there are no paid staff within the MPO, except for the Music Director and Concertmaster. Our Board works diligently year-round to develop and execute on a strategy for growth, and fulfillment of the organizational mission. The board meets regularly as a full group, as well as in respective committees. The organizational bylaws provide for nine board members, of which there are two open spots today. If you are interested in becoming a board member or working on any of our committees, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The board is comprised of seven standing committees that carry out the work of the organization. Special committees are formed as needed or for special projects and initiatives, e.g. Pride, and the Salon Fundraiser.
- Executive Committee: comprised of the four executive officers (President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary), this committee is responsible for the overall functioning and management of the MPO, similar to the executive leadership team of an organization; manages all paid and unpaid staff, board members, committee members, and volunteers.
- Development Committee: designs, develops, and implements fundraising strategies and plans; organizes fundraising events; handles all donor development and relations, as well as coordinates grant submissions/applications.
- Finance Committee: assists the Treasurer with all general accounting and bookkeeping; and, handles all financial matters for the organization including financial planning and budgeting, tax, regulatory filings, and insurance.
- Governance Committee: responsible for board relations, development, recruiting, and overall management; assists the Secretary with oversight, development, and adherence to policies, and organizational bylaws.
- Marketing Committee: develops marketing plans and manages general external communications and marketing activities, including online response/social media, print, and web.
- Operations Committee: plans for, and executes all concert/event production activities including volunteer coordination, box office, venue, ticketing, program development/printing, and general logistics.
- Programming Committee: in collaboration with the Music Director, develops engaging programs including selection and approval of repertoire, concert series/cycle theme, and overall tone/messaging of programs.
Derick assumed the role of Artistic Director and Principal Conductor in September 2016; Derick has been with the organization since 2011. Derick Rehurek is an active musician and educator originally from Yankton, South Dakota. He studied at the University of South Dakota with the celebrated soloist and pedagogue, John Thomson. Derick has also studied conducting […]
As the MPO’s esteemed Concertmaster, Catherine is responsible for chairing the violin section as well as working with the Music Director to ensure a smooth and successful concert performance by mentoring performers and resolving technical performance issues as needed. Catherine joined the MPO in 2012; she started violin lessons in the Carroll College Suzuki program […]
Associate Principal Second Violin
Tom joined the MPO Board in 2015 as an At-Large member to assist the Treasurer with the financial affairs of the orchestra. Tom holds a Masters degree from the University of Minnesota and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from Saint John’s University in Minnesota. He was also a graduate fellow at Georgetown University […]
An amateur violinist, Evan is a founding member of the MPO and has played every concert except three in the orchestra’s twenty-four years. He has served two terms as board president. He has a master’s degree in communication sciences and disorders from the University of Minnesota and works as a speech language pathologist at Regions […]
Doug joined the MPO Board in 2015 as an At-Large member and now serves primarily as Operations Director. He is an active composer whose works have been commissioned and otherwise sought after and performed by the National Young Arts Foundation, Zeitgeist, Ricochet Duo, The Bridge Chamber Music Festival, the Chautauqua Instituion Piano Competition, cellist Jeffrey […]
Sarah began performing with the Minnesota Philharmonic Orchestra in 2013 on bass trombone. Previously, Sarah worked at Minnesota Orchestra and interned for Contemporary Music for All (London, UK) and Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra (Stevens Point, Wisconsin) prior to joining the Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies (GTCYS) in 2013 as Program Assistant and Social Media Specialist. […]
Programming CommitteePrincipal Bassoon
Brian serves as the Music Librarian where he serves on the MPO’s Programming Committee, communicates with music publishers to rent or purchase performance pieces, manages the music library, distributes and collects the music to and from the musicians, and communicates issues relating to the Music Library with the Music Director and Board of Directors. Brian […]
Joseph C Dolson is a WordPress plugin developer and accessibility consultant. He’s the author of several popular WordPress plugins, including WP to Twitter and My Calendar, and works to promote accessible development with WordPress. He teaches a course at Lynda.com on Accessibility for WordPress and works with the WordPress Accessibility team to help make WordPress […]