Become an expert on all things Orchestra! Britten’s The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra is a fun instructional for music lovers who are young—or just young at heart. To initiate orchestra novices in the stories an orchestra can tell, we’ll present selections from Humperdinck’s Hansel and Gretel and Stravinsky’s The Firebird, which were both inspired by classic folk tales. And since all orchestral experts need to be familiar with symphonies, we’ll finish the evening with one of the greats, Beethoven’s 8th.
Kids will get an up-close lesson on what an orchestra is all about at our third annual Children & Families concert which includes pre-concert activities. The Sunday concert and activities are free thanks to grant funding from the Xcel Energy Foundation.
- The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra / Britten
- Selections from Hansel and Gretel / Humperdinck
- Berceuse and Finale from The Firebird / Stravinsky
- Symphony No. 8 / Beethoven
Conducted by Douglas Diamond
- Stravinsky, Igor, Selections from The Firebird
- Beethoven, Ludwig van, Symphony #8
- Britten, Benjamin, The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra with Mindy Ratner, narrator
- Humperdinck, Englebert, Selections from Hansel and Gretel
- November 15, 2014