Sibelius’ Karelia Overture celebrates the composer’s homeland, and MPO celebrates Minnesota’s Mina Kaiser in her Tombeaux & Rainbow. Persichetti’s Pastoral for Wind Quintet and Borodin’s In the Steppes of Central Asia journey through landscapes real and imagined, and William Grant Still’s Symphony No. 5 “The Western Hemisphere”.
Conducted by Brian Dowdy
- Jean Sibelius, Karelia Overture
- Vincent Persichetti, Pastoral, Op. 21 for Woodwind Quintet
- Mina Kaiser, Tombeaux & Rainbow with soloists Shelly Gruskin, recorder and Johanna Gruskin, flute
- Alexander Borodin, In the Steppes of Central Asia
- William Grant Still, Symphony No. 5 “The Western Hemisphere”
- May 16, 2020