Concert first performed on December 5, 2008.
For this set of concerts, the MPO will once again join forces with One Voice Mixed Chorus. Together we will make music to honor the 20th anniversary of World AIDS Day, which is observed every year on December 1. The founder of the MPO, Kevin Ford, succumbed to complications from HIV-AIDS in 1995, so this is a cause very near and dear to our hearts. We will honor those whom we have lost, but we also remember that millions of people around the world are presently living with this disease. The MPO and OVMC are also proud to present the premiere of a new work by composer Christopher Gable, written especially for this occasion. This will be an inspirational concert, filled with hope and light for the future.
Conducted by Joseph Schlefke
- Schubert, Franz, Overture in C Major, D. 591
- Corigliano, John, Voyage
- Beethoven, Ludwig van, Allegretto from Symphony No. 7 in A Major, Op. 92
- Walker, Gwyneth, How Can I Keep From Singing?
- Brahms, Johannes, How Lovely is Thy Dwelling Place (from A German Requiem)
- Mendelssohn, Felix, Dona Nobis Pacem
- Vaughan Williams, Ralph, Toward the Unknown Region
- Gable, Christopher, By the Fireside
- December 5, 2008