Concert first performed on November 9, 2019.
Symphonic hymns and airs resound with nature imagery in Samuel Coleridge-Taylor’s Symphonic Variations on an African Air, Dvořák’s In Nature’s Realm, and Sibelius’ Finlandia. MPO and One Voice Mixed Chorus celebrate contemporary composers with local history in works by Dessa and Jocelyn Hagen, Mari Ésabel Valverde, and Lee Hoiby.
Conducted by Brian Dowdy
- Antonin Dvořák, Nature’s Realm
- Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Symphonic Variations on an African Air, Op. 63
- Jean Sibelius, Finlandia
- Mari Esabel Valverde, Cloths of Heaven with soloist One Voice Mixed Chorus
- Dessa/Jocelyn Hagen, Controlled Burn with soloist One Voice Mixed Chorus
- Lee Hoiby, Hymn to the New Age with soloist One Voice Mixed Chorus
- November 9, 2019